Monday, March 18, 2013

Neighborhood


Neighborhood…
Monday, March 18
Studio City, CA

When I hear the word neighborhood, I immediately hear “wont you be my neighbor…” being sung to me by Mr. Rogers himself and I am a kid again, happily perched in front of the TV…

Webster’s defines Neighborhood as a “geographically localized community within a larger citytown or suburb. Neighborhoods are often social communities with considerable face-to-face interaction among members.”

In most places right… except here in LA…
Or so I thought before I began an exploratory exercise with my kids.

After many conversations about “when I grew up… and
neighbor dates not play dates “

My children were determined to get to know the streets of their hood.

So we set out on a crusade… our own walk about so to speak.
In doing so…

We have fallen in Love with Studio City and its surrounding streets.

Studio City has everything a girl, boy, mom, dad… anyone could ever need.

Great hikes in Fryman Canyon and bike paths along the LA River…

One may find hidden treasures in small shops like Entertaining Elephants and Inventori or fall into The Gap and other larger chain stores moving in.

Studio City Farmer’s Market is a Sunday am ritual.
My favorite florist is Marks Garden.

Great vintage finds to be had at Playclothes and Suzanne’s.
I could go on and on… but for now here are
Our favorite local eat/drink establishments to date:

Favorite Smoothie
Aroma
4360 Tujunga Ave 


Favorite Burger
LAUREL TAVERN
11938 Ventura Blvd 


Favorite Ice Cream
4342 Tujunga Ave

Favorite Popsicle
SUCK IT
4361 1/2 Tujunga Ave
The name alone makes me smile…

Favorite juice & salads
Royalty Florist and Cafe
12019 Ventura Blvd

Favorite places to pick up dinner when this Mom is not in the mood to cook:
Harvest Moon Kitchen & Marketplace
12456 Magnolia Blvd

Village Gourmet
4357 Tujunga Ave.
They carry our favorite Heirloom lasagna cupcakes

Via our quest for neighbor relations… I realized how much I missed the interaction of others that happens on foot and saying hello to a stranger. Living in LA has us in the car… a lot! Our walk about has inspired us to access what’s in our own backyard. Oh what a difference a walk makes.

);